Jam’n Coming Your Way!
Jam all weekend long or attend instructor-led jams and free workshops (with your paid registration).
The Jam’n Weekend will be dedicated to bluegrass!
All jammers welcome at any level, from beginner to advanced. You can pick around the clock within the beautiful historic spaces of the Colonial Inn.The Jam’n Weekend will begin Friday at 5 pm with 24-hour jamming through Sunday at 1 pm.
There will also be workshops in banjo, fiddle, mandolin, singing, etc. for different levels and instructor-led Directed Slow Jams for beginners.
UPDATE: Get a FREE Registration With Your Hotel Room Reservation
If you are staying at the Colonial for one night, Jam’n registration is half-price for one person per room; a two night stay gets you one free ticket per room. Once again the BBU will have a list of hotel guests and will have your wristband at the registration table (downstairs in the Heritage Room this year). If you have already reserved a room and purchased a registration, you will receive a refund at the registration table.
There are just a few more discounted rooms available at the Colonial Inn for $120 per night. Please make sure you specify picking or non-picking room when you call the Colonial Inn at 800-370-9200. Just mention the BBU Jam’n Weekend for the discount.
UPDATE: Friday and Saturday Day Tickets Available in Concord
A limited number of day passes will be available for Friday and Saturday only (and Sunday is FREE for day trippers). Space permitting, we will be offering a limited number of Friday night only passes for $10, and Saturday-only passes for $20 BBU members ($25 nonmembers).
Last year we sold out so if you want to be sure you can get in, we strongly encourage you to register on-line. Walk-in are welcome, but on-line tickets will be going off sale on Thursday evening, so make sure you log on soon. Weekend registration is only $30 for BBU members ($35 for non-members).
Special discounted rooms are available on picking and non-picking floors at the Colonial Inn ($120 per night). Reserve your room by calling the Colonial Inn directly at (800) 370-9200, and don’t forget to mention the BBU Jam’n rate to get the discount. Please specifiy whether you want a picking or non-picking room. A very limited number of rooms are available at this low rate, so don’t delay in booking your room now. The discounted room rate will not be available after October 1st.
Don’t miss this chance to hang out with fellow pickers, take workshops, and have a great time! Weekend registration is only $30 for BBU members ($35 for non-members). Only a limited number of registrations will be avallable, as space is limited.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com
The BBU is proud to welcome you to the 2nd annual Jam’n Weekend. Please join us for a special welcome on Friday evening from 6:30 until 7 pm in the Heritage Room. And come back to the Heritage Room at 11:30 am on Sunday for our Farewell Jam.
Open Jams are held throughout the Colonial Inn whenever a room isn’t being used for a workshop or teacher-directed jam, or greyed-out and therefore unavailable.
24-hour Jamming in The Cottage
The entire Cottage, both the upstairs and downstairs, will be dedicated to 24-hour open jamming from Friday at 6 pm until Sunday at 1 pm. The Cottage is located out back, across the Colonial’s parking lot.
Jam with the Teachers!
This year some teachers will be leading jams in the Heritage Room. All instruments are invited to these jams, although the teachers may gear their advice for their instrument. You can attend even if you didn’t attend the workshop or don’t play the teacher’s instrument.
Open Slow Jams and Directed Slow Jams will be held throughout the weekend in the Heritage room (downstairs through The Forge). Both kinds of Slow Jams are for beginning pickers or those who just like to take it slow. Here is the schedule of Slow Jams in the Heritage Room:
Jam Leader – Friday – Saturday – Sunday
Ray Mount – Friday from 5 until 6:30 pm – Saturday from 8 until 10 pm George Chapman – Friday from 7 until 8:30 pm – Saturday from Noon until 1:30 pm – Sunday from 10 until 11:30 am Open Slow Jam – Friday from 8:30 until 11 pm – Saturday from 10 am until Noon – Sunday from 8 until 10 am
Following in the tradition of the Joe Val Bluegrass Festival’s many wonderful workshops, the Jam’n Weekend will be offering a variety of workshops throughout the weekend. Here’s a list of the many teachers involved, and their workshop details:
Laura Orshaw (fiddle) – Adding Variations to a Simple Melody (fiddle)
- in the Thoreau Room on Fri. at 7 pm
Nancy Harrowitz with Gail Wiegner – Singing for Beginners and the Confidence Impaired
- in the Thoreau Room on Fri. at 8 pm
Frank Drake (bass) – Holding Down the Bottom End (bass)
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 11 am
August Watters (mando) – Who Cares About Bill Monroe, Anyway?
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 12:30 pm
Tony Watt and Laura Orshaw - Introduction to Bluegrass Harmony Singing
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 2 pm
Rich Stillman - Pulling a Bluegrass Banjo Break Out of Thin Air
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 3:30 pm
Dave Reiner (fiddle) – A Bluegrass Fiddler’s Bag of Tricks
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 5 pm
Andy Katz (Dobro) – Josh to Jerry: Classic Bluegrass Dobro Picking
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 6:30 pm
Tony Watt (all) – The 3 Most Important Practice Techniques Ever
- in the Thoreau Room on Sat. at 8 pm
Thanks again for joining us for our second annual Jam’n Weekend. We hope this event is a success, and if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know as soon as possible!
NEW POLICIES THIS YEAR:
1. The entire Cottage, both the upstairs and downstairs, will be dedicated to 24-hour open jamming from Friday at 6 pm until Sunday at 1 pm. The Cottage is located out back, across the Colonial’s parking lot.
2. The registration desk will be located downstairs in the Heritage Room.
1. Valid wristbands are required for those playing music or attending workshops. Please keep them visible at all times.
2. Unlike Joe Val, we do not have the entire Colonial Inn to ourselves, therefore please be respectful of the Inn and it’s guests.
3. The rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Prescott Wing are designated quiet rooms, and there should be no jamming in them at any time.
4. Parking is located in the Colonial Inn’s lot, in the municipal lot off of Lowell Rd., and on Monument Square (but please note that some meters are restricted to 1 or 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday).
5. Local liquor laws prohibit consumption or presence of personal alcoholic beverages in public spaces. Please note: private alcohol in public places is against Inn policy.
6. Please do not leave litter around, use the trashcans and clean up after yourself.
7. Please keep your instrument cases, bags, coats, etc. with you as you move throughout the Inn. Please don’t leave anything lying around in function rooms because they may be needed for other activities. The BBU is not responsible for any personal items.